Sunday, August 7, 2016

School Lunches

One of the hardest parts of going back to school, at least for me, is getting back in the groove of making my lunch.  Last year, my lunches either consisted of leftovers (which meant standing in a long line for the one teacher microwave) or a peanut butter and honey sandwich (which was normally rather smushed and got old pretty quickly).  So, I'm trying something new this year - Mason Jar Salads.  I made a couple of them last week for my first two days of school, and they tasted great.  This afternoon, I made all of my lunches for this coming week.

I'll admit, the prep work took A LOT of time.



Wide mouth, 32 oz Mason jars are a must.  If they aren't wide mouth, you'll have a hard time getting your fork into the bottom of the jar.  The salad dressing goes in the jar first, and then go all the vegetables and beans.  I put celery, zucchini, cucumber, jicama, corn, black beans, carrots, tomatoes, and red peppers.  Next go the greens (I used baby spinach).  The crunchy toppings go on last.  My favorites are dried blueberries, dried cranberries, pecans, and cashews.  When it's time to eat, I just shake up the jar to distribute the dressing.  


I think that the time I'll save in the mornings will be completely worth it.  And, they are kind of pretty to look at.  I just have to remember to take it out of the refrigerator in the morning.  What are your go-to school lunches?

1 comment:

  1. Those are so pretty! I'm curious if Friday's salad is still crisp? This is such a great idea if so!

    ReplyDelete